National Competitive Grants Program
Special Research Initiatives
The ARC takes a proactive approach, in consultation with research organisations, professional associations and peak higher education bodies, to identifying new or emerging areas of research and providing funding for them under the Special Research Initiatives scheme. Specifically, funding is provided under the scheme to support:
- cooperative activities among researchers
- cooperative development of national and international linkages
- cooperative development of innovative research areas
- rapid response to unforeseen opportunities, such as conducting field-work at an erupting volcano
- activities aimed at building the scale and focus of research and research training
- other activities the ARC judges to be consistent with the scheme's objectives.
Activities funded under this scheme may include, but are not restricted to, one-off conferences, workshops and seminars.
Funding may also be used to develop networks and initiate collaborations that would be unlikely otherwise to occur and, where appropriate, disseminate the outcomes of the collaborative activities funded under the scheme.
Applications for Special Research Initiatives funding are by means of occasional calls for proposals. Applications for SRI funding may be submitted only when invited by the ARC by means of a call for proposal(s) for funding.
Initiatives for funding in 2012:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Researchers' Network
- Science of Learning Research Centre
- Synchrotron Science
Initiatives for funding in 2011:
Initiatives for funding in 2009-2010:
Initiatives for funding in 2008-2009:
Initiatives for funding in 2006:
- ARC Centre of Excellence in Policing and Security
- Australian and New Zealand Council for the Care of Animals in Research and Teaching (ANZCCART)